View Farhan’s Charlatan user profile here.
Farhan was the editor-in-chief of the Charlatan, Carleton University’s independent student newspaper, during the 2011-12 academic year. Prior to that, he was the sports editor.
As editor-in-chief, Farhan implemented the Charlatan‘s first-ever social media co-ordinator position and oversaw the redesign of its website without an increased budget. Over 146,000 unique visitors frequented the website during Farhan’s year as editor — a 53 per cent increase compared to the previous year — and over 90,000 papers were physically picked up off the stands.
Over the course of the year, the Charlatan’s coverage was referenced in The Globe and Mail, the National Post, the Ottawa Citizen (twice), and CTV.ca.
As a reporter, Farhan wrote over 50 articles for the Charlatan. He covered the Toronto Raptors training camp in October 2009 and the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) men’s basketball championship in March 2013, where he wrote 12 stories over the three-day tournament. Farhan also co-authored an extensive feature on the return of Carleton Ravens football.
Here’s a small sample of his work:
- 03/09/2013: Raven-turned-Gee-Gee Mehdi Tihani ‘wouldn’t change anything’
- 03/08/2013: Ravens to face fellow CIS national title record-holder in quarter-finals
- 02/28/2013: Scouring the country for talent
- 11/29/2012: One on one with Daniel Alfredsson
- 11/29/2012: Oregon of the North: Carleton turns to U.S. design firm for football branding (similar, condensed story picked up by the Ottawa Sun two hours later).
- 10/04/2012: Soon-to-be Ravens shine with Sooners
- 04/20/2012: Gee-Gees head coach resigns, joins reborn Ravens as offensive co-ordinator
- 12/14/2011: Former hockey coach to implicate Carleton president in ongoing lawsuit
- 12/09/2011: CUSA president suspends executive pay